9.22.2011

Vegetarian

Makenna has announced that she is now a vegetarian. I find this a little ironic, seeing that I LOVE meat and Richard hunts. :)
And she has been a meat eater all her life. She loves meat, like I do.
She first heard of the world of vegetarianism from a friend at school who ordered cheese pizza because she was a vegetarian.
So Makenna asked us about vegetarians. She knew they didn't eat meat, but asked why. So I explained that maybe they didn't like meat, or maybe they think of it as unhealthy or maybe they don't like to kill animals to eat them. She said she didn't like to kill animals either.
That is when she announced.
And then the questions of "do vegetarians eat...?" started.
We were eating brussels sprouts with bacon. She picked up a little piece of bacon and asked if she could eat this if she was a vegetarian. I said no. She said, "Well I am going to eat this one last bacon and then I will be a vegetarian." Haha! :)
But she stuck with it. She didn't eat any more meat. And this morning she remembered she is vegetarian. I wasn't sure if she would.
Richard poured her a bowl of rice krispies and put a little sugar on top.
Makenna said, "oh no! who put sugar in this?"
I said, "Daddy did."
She nodded and said, "But I am a vegetarian now!" :)
I should have let her go with that...less sugar in her diet wouldn't hurt! But I didn't want to start over with a new bowl of cereal...so I told her not to worry, sugar was okay.
I love my 5 year old little girl!