I like to be a little dramatic and call it a surgery. :)
Really it was, but technically it wasn't a big deal.
Makenna's earlobe skin grew over the top of the back of her earring. It was so grown over that you couldn't even see the back of her earring at all. At first I thought it had fallen off, but soon realized it was there. When people would look at it they would say, so there used to be a back on here? My response was...no...there IS a back on there.
We discovered this problem on Sunday night at bedtime. I wish I would have just taken her to the ER...but I decided to wait and go to the pediatrician...because surely they could take it out, right? They couldn't. They didn't have a strong enough numbing agent, so they sent us to the pediatric surgeon. Unfortunately the pediatrician failed to tell us not to have her eat anything (I just assumed they would numb the ear to get it out, not put her out to get it out). We stopped for a snack on the way. So since she had eaten, we had to schedule the surgery for the next day.
Makenna was excited to miss another day of school to hang out with mom. :) She wasn't scared or nervous...just anxious to get it out. It wasn't really hurting her, only when someone would touch it. The nursing staff and doctors were amazing. They really helped her feel comfortable. I am happy they let her bring her blanket with her...they encouraged us to bring something special from home that she could keep with her. The surgery went really fast and she recovered pretty well.
She was really excited to have a popsicle when it was over. I could tell she was feeling a little nauseous when she was waking up, but she kept saying her throat hurt. We had one episode of throwing up on the way home, but otherwise she was great. She spent the rest of the day watching movies and playing.
And amazingly enough we were able to keep the earring hole. She has an earring in today and everything is looking great!




